The Best Maintenance Supervisor Interview Questions to Ask Candidates
Do you need a maintenance supervisor to help keep up with your facilities? Hire the right candidate by asking these maintenance supervisor interview questions.
There are more than 170,500 production manager jobs in the US. There are thousands of companies that are looking for the ideal candidate every day. At the same time, there are hundreds of individuals who would make a great fit for the job.
But, finding a great fit is not always easy. Knowing which maintenance supervisor interview questions to ask can help find the best candidate. Likewise, folks looking to get this position can benefit from knowing these questions.
Here are some ideas to help you find the best questions for your candidates.
What Should You Look for in a Candidate?
Before delving into the questions you should ask, let’s go over the ideal candidate. All companies are different, so you need to find an employee that fits your business’ requirements. You should also look for:
A great candidate will have experience as a maintenance supervisor. You’ll probably be able to tell from the quality of their interview. This is a huge plus, so make sure you keep candidates with experience at the top of the list.
A Solid Portfolio
Individuals have the experience working at renown companies often bring something extra to the table. Looking at your prospect’s portfolio will help you find the best fit.
Education and Training
Having a maintenance certificate or an Associates degree in maintenance is a good bonus and it gives you reassurance that the candidate has gone through proper technical training. That said, many great candidates also learn their skills on the field, so always ask technical questions to truly understand their skills.
Great Maintenance Supervisor Interview Questions for Your Next Candidate
Finding the best questions for your interview takes some time. You also need to come up with a few questions specific to your company.
Here are some examples of great questions you can ask during and at the end of an interview with a potential maintenance supervisor:
Questions About the Role
Aside from finding out what their favorite part of the job is, be sure to ask these questions:
- What experience do you have with PLC/VFD systems? Can you program and or troubleshoot?
- Do you have knowledge of electrical system repairs? What is the highest voltage you have worked on? Can you run conduit?
- Do you have experience with troubleshooting pneumatics, and or hydraulics?
- Can you read Blueprints and schematics?
- Tell me about your previous job and the responsibilities you had there
Also, ask them what they can tell you about preventative maintenance.
Questions About Their Operational Practices
Start by asking them how they assign tasks to employees. Then, follow up with these questions:
- Do you provide written or verbal instructions?
- Can you create a training plan for new employees?
- How do you tell if it’s best to repair or replace a certain machine?
- What do you do if a necessary repair exceeds the allocated budget?
- What do you do if you have a difficult employee who shows up late or will not do the work properly?
At the end of this section of the interview, ask them to walk you through the steps they take in case an employee is injured on the job.
Questions About Behavior
When it comes to behavior, ask them if they’ve recruited anyone themselves in the past. Then, continue with the following questions:
- Do you have experience coaching your technicians?
- Tell me an anecdote where you didn’t display good leadership
Last but not least, ask them if they’ve ever had to dismiss an employee and how they did it.
Find the Best Recruitment Agency Today
Selecting the right maintenance supervisor is not always easy. The maintenance supervisor interview questions above should help find the ideal candidate. Just make sure you take your time and get the right person for the job.
If you want to learn more about our recruiting services, get in touch today.